Saturday, April 07, 2007

DOCTOR, DOCTOR, GIVE ME A CLUE

Sorry for the lack of postings lately - I have spent the last 10 days in bed in a codeine coma because I have stuffed my back again. This means that I have also spent a lot of time at various doctors - GPs, a kine (physio), a rheumatologist and a radiologist (so far!). Going to the doctor was an interesting experience - my first doctors visit in France. Firstly, you don't make appointments. You just show up, and wait until its your turn. Also, there is no receptionist person. You just get buzzed in (GPs always have apartments - just like a house that they use) and you enter straight into the waiting room. Then somehow, everyone miraculously remembers what order they came in, so when the previous patient leaves, the next person gets up and goes into the other room, which is where the doctor is. It must be a very lonely profession, as they are holed up inside all day and only interacts with patients. And then you directly pay the doctor before you leave. It kinda makes you feel like you are doing something illicit, that is not allowed to be on public show.

The second thing about French doctors, is that they love to shower you with medication. I am taking pain killers with a lot of codeine in them (codeine's addictive) and also muscle relaxants that are from the benzodiazapiene class of drugs (also addictive). In Australia, you would be lucky to get 2 boxes of Panadeine Forte. Here, I was given a script for six boxes, and then asked if that was enough! France's health care budget is the third largest in the world, and the country has an extremely high rate of over-prescribing (they spend 1/3 of their health budget on prescriptions).

The funniest medical encounter I have had in Paris so far was with the radiologist yesterday. After waiting (yes, expect to wait a lot in France) and successfully following the French directions to get to the right room, the radiologist ushers me into a small room, garbles something in French and leaves. I didn't understand the first bit, but I did get the last part about waiting for him to come back. I figured that he was getting me a gown so I sat down to wait. A few minutes later, he opens the door and looks shocked. I had no idea why until he mimes undressing (but leaving undies on). OK, so no gown for me! So I strip down, open the door and flash the radiologist. I then have to strike various poses (only wearing my undies) while he takes all the x-rays and speaks French to me. And because I can't understand half of what he is saying, he keeps having to 'adjust' me while copping a face-full of my breasts several times! What a job....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home