Monday, January 22, 2007


UNDER THE BRIDGE

On Saturday night, after going to Daniel's birthday party, Guillaume, Emmanuel (one of Guillaume's friends, he's a cool dude) and I headed off to a party at a club called Le Showcase. After Emmanuel scammed our way in (which I thought was no mean feat considering we were the scruffiest looking people there) I realised that the club's name was perfect. Finally I knew where all the beautiful people of Paris were hiding. Under the Pont Alexandre III.

This was one super cool venue. There were chicks singing some French rock / pop in not too many clothes, another chick doing fire twirling (in not too many clothes), and a DJ. There were also a whole lot of couches, although these appeared to be reserved for those who bought entire bottles of spirits (we got kicked off some couches as we only had 1 beer each). Apparently it houses 1500 people, all of which were wearing white, grey and/or black. Seriously, I think I saw only one girl with a coloured top on (and me!).

Anyway the club was literally under the most (apparently - I had no idea!) famous of Paris' bridges, the Pont Alexandre III . This bridge was completed in 1900 and the first stone was laid by the Russian Tzar Nicholas II (the bridge is named after his father). Its a really beautiful bridge with a whole lot of art nouveau lamps and lots of golden statues. Guillaume and Emmanuel insisted that the bridge is a copy of one in St. Petersburg, however using my extensive research skills (I knew my PhD would be useful for something!) I have not been able to verify this. However, both these guys are vrai (real) Parisians so they should know....

My pathetic knowledge of the bridges in Paris led to a 4am motorbike tour of the bridges along the Seine, finishing up with the Pont Neuf (when I suggested that the Pont Alexandre III was the Pont Neuf - the only Parisian bridge name I knew- Emmanuel was horrified). This bridge is the oldest standing bridge in Paris, and you can see its pretty plain (read: boring) and was completed in 1607. Apparently in summer it is packed along the Seine, however on Saturday night the only action we saw was a rat running for cover (no kidding)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home