Tuesday, December 12, 2006

THE LAND OF WINE & CHEESE....

Now most of you will know that i LOVE, ADORE, Can't get enough of cheese, particularly smelly blue varieties. One of the major reasons I decided to move to France (no seriously I'm not kidding) is the fact that they have whole shops devoted to cheese! These fromageries are a cheese-lover's delight compounded by the fact cheese is dirt cheap in France (well something had to be). So as Dazza has left me for his other love, the mountains, I decided to have a mid-afternoon snack masquerading as lunch. So off I trundle to the fromagerie where using my horrible french and the fromager's barely passable english I decided on some kind on cow's blue cheese (not to be confused with ewe's blue cheese, for example Roquefort, which is deliciously creamy and blue.

Then I thought, well I have a lot of time to kill so I may as well go and stock up on my new favourite wine, which retails at the Monoprix (France's crappy answer to Safeway and Kmart and Liquorland mixed into one) for a measly 3.95 euros. This is equivalent to $6.67 AUD. Bargain! Now most of you discerning drinkers (my brother a notable exception to this) would never spend this amount of money on a red wine in Australia and come out with something decent. Then just before returning home I also procure some fresh baguette for about 70 euro cents (bread is also cheap in France, and it tastes nothing like the fluffy stuff in Australia, it is salty and sugary and crunchy and soft all at the same time- seriously good. Now I know why 80% of Frenchies eat bread with every meal).

Anyway so on my return home, I ask the guy who appears at the front desk for a couple of hours a day, who probably gets paid like crap but still could make a bit more of an effort i say, if he can come and check out my sink. Which you will remember is totally blocked. Nothing is getting through that baby. So up he comes with one of those toilet plunger things, some scientist latex gloves and some "special liquid" (-no kidding that's what he called it) which is meant to unblock my drain. But alas, after much plunging (watching an immaculately dressed French guy with latex gloves on his hands plunging my sink was highly hilarious I must say) and not a lot of un-blocking he decides that he will call Dougie the plumber tomorrow to fix it.

Which meant that cooking was not really an option as I already had 2 days worth of dishes in the sink so for lunch/afternoon tea/dinner I had delicious cheese on fresh baguette with my extra-yummy-extra-cheap wine. Bon apetite!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home