Thursday, July 26, 2007

IS LE TOUR DE FRANCE DEAD?

Le Tour de France, the famous French cycling race that stretches over 21 days, several thousand kilometers and most of France, is in trouble. The race culminates with the Grand Finish on the Champs-Elysee in Paris on Sunday. If you have been following le Tour this year (and many recent years) you will know that the race is dogged with doping allegations, confirmations, evasions and eliminations.

Yesterday's race leader and stage winner Michael Rasmussen has been sacked from his team and withdrawn from the race because of doping suspicions. He denied that he had been in Italy, claiming he had been in Mexico, and said “I am shattered. I am on the verge of tears. I was not in Italy. Not at all. That's the story of one man who believes he recognised me. There is no hint of evidence. My career is ruined. I have no idea what I should do or where I will go. This is an enormous blow for me, and also for all the guys from the Rabo team. They're devastated.”

Hmm.... maybe you should have thought of this before you avoided multiple doping testings?

The bulletin, France Soir has declared with their front page obituary that "the tour is dead".
The Liberation wrote “This procession of cyclists has been transformed into a caravan of ridicule,” and many are calling for the tour to be stopped. Interestingly, many Frenchies I have spoken to have really lost interest in the race because of all the doping issues. Several other riders have also been eliminated from the race due to doping positive tests.

Anyway, I will still be heading off to the Champs-Elysee on Sunday to see the finish...... if there are any riders left!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home