Wednesday, December 05, 2007

HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY PARIS!

Today is one year exactly since Daz and I arrived in Paris. Freaking out, not knowing anyone (or the language)... I can't believe it. It feels both like years since we arrived, and yet, about 2 weeks. Every day I am reminded that we don't really belong here. But every day the most mundane things are so much more fun that at home.

Surprisingly, I don't miss living in Australia. Hardly. Ok, it would be nice to sit in people's backyards, cooking the barbie and basking in the warm sun. But here, you just do things differently. You go on picnics, you cycle around the city, and everywhere you go you see something amazing.

And its amazing how quickly you build a new life. Work, somewhere to live, new friends. And yes, it takes a lot of work, but its worth it. But still, simple things at home, such as going to the doctor, are a lot more hassle here. I think the hardest thing is trying to fit in with a new culture (I think I am pretty much the opposite to most Frenchies!) without changing yourself to blend in more. I know i've ruffled many feathers, but on the other hand, I know lots of people appreciate the differences in me, and my Aussie friends here. They love how we are so friendly and outspoken because it means they can experience a little of what it would be like if they went somewhere else (French people really don't travel much), and it makes them appreciate what they have.
So what don't I like about living here? Well, I don't like how things are run. Bureaucracy. Its bullshit. There are so many redundant hoops you have to jump through its crazy. The way the lab is (not) run. That I don't have many results at work. That I still don't know French very well (my fault). That simple things become difficult. That I can't read the paper properly. That I am excluded from pop culture. The tiny apartments. That I don't have my doggie. That it rained all summer.

And what do I love? The attitude that you work to live, not live to work. Taking long lunches is expected. The food (the cheese, foie gras, duck). The architecture. The availability of different cultures, meeting lots of people from everywhere. Riding bikes everywhere. My rediscovered love for live - not being in a rut, which I think lots of my friends (myself included) at home are/were in. My friends. The wine. The renewal of Daz and my love affair. That its really cold, so you can wear big boots and jackets a lot. Meeting people from all over. The tiny country towns that are postcard perfect. The autumn colours. Picnics. Being able to have (simple) conversations in French. Being really really happy and proud that I have built a life here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home